[Asterisk-biz] Getting a Cisco 7910 to work

Eran Gal eran.gal at xorcom.com
Sun Sep 26 03:34:34 MST 2004

Hello,
I've  managed to connect with a Cisco 7960 to an Asterisk's SIP channel.
I think the configurations are the same for all 79xx family.
So,
First you need to make sure that the firmware of the phone supports SIP.
(You need to check the Cisco web-site for this) If your phone supports SIP
then do the following steps:

1)Unlock your phone
    Settings -> Unlock Config
    (The default password for Cisco's IP phones is: Cisco(
2)Set SIP Proxy address
    Setting -> SIP Configuration -> Line 1 Settings -> Proxy Address
    (Edit the configuration and enter your SIP server's IP)

3)Set phone name
    Setting -> SIP Configuration -> Line 1 Settings -> Name
    (Set the name to the name registered on the SIP server(

This is all you need to have a basic IP phone connected to the SIP server

Problems that could arise:
1) The phone is not connected to the network
2) The Phone's name is not registered by the SIP server (This will cause the
SIP server to ignore your phone(
3) Make sure the SIP port is the same both at the SIP server and in the
phone's proxy port
4) Firmware does not support SIP (You will not have the options mentioned
above regarding SIP configuration(

I can't think of anything else right now so I hope this helps.

Good luck

Ofir Noy
Xorcom Ltd
www.xorcom.com