[Asterisk-biz] Calling card consultant

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Mon Sep 6 12:06:31 MST 2004

Lubomir Christov wrote:

> I can't understand your fear from RADIUS - you have already posted too
> many emails regarding the RADIUS protocol support.

I do not fear RADIUS.  I use RADIUS every day to authenticate and
account for thousands of dialup and wireless customers.

> RADIUS protocol is just a routine standard for writhing many different
> billing solutions for many ISPs and ITSPs.
> I'll suggest you to make one simple thing, just google for "RADIUS
> billing system" - you will receive around 71,900 pages and you can see
> there how much are the VoIP RADIUS based billing solutions.

> I don't think that one GPL application such as app_radius, can  "hinders
> the power of Asterisk" ... :)
> It just extend the features and functionality of such a GOOD application
> as Asterisk PBX.

RADIUS is perfect for remote access type situations due to the fact the
request is simplistic.  VoIP has too many variables, options and
situations for any RADIUS based solution to be flexible enough for a
VoIP carrier in 2004.

Asterisk has built in features that are far superior than anything
RADIUS can provide.

Such as:

1) Authentication - A very powerful built in flat file configuration
method. There is also res_config as an option to query a DB for the same
data.

2) Extension Logic - All applications stem from Asterisk's very powerful
Extension Logic.  Most people do not understand the absolute power of
Asterisk's Extension Logic. If you want a calling card application,
write one. You can prototype one in AGI (ASTCC is a reasonable start)
and then deploy a real solution using the Asterisk C API.

3) CDR back-end - Once the call is complete the CDR back-end deals with
getting the raw call information into the format you need to bill for
every call leg thru the system. This process always includes a
connection to a DB of some sort.

When you bring RADIUS into the mix, all of the above features (and more)
of Asterisk are rendered useless, just to make everything fit the whole
idea of what RADIUS is... Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting.

> I have a suggestion: If you don't understand the advantages of RADIUS or
> you are thinking that RADIUS is too complicated or even a "evil protocol"
> ... :) please just don't use it.

I completely understand and utilize RADIUS every single day.

You are correct, I absolutely do not use RADIUS with my VoIP deployments
and RADIUS is exponentially more complicated than it has to be for VoIP
billing. (you should listen to your own advice)

Jeremy McNamara