[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk development and configuration

Adam Wells awells at trysoft.com
Sun Sep 5 23:14:18 MST 2004

Hi All,

My company has a customer who wishes to integrate an IVR system into another
system, and Asterisk seems to meet the needs very well from the IVR
perspective.  As part of the integration effort, think we will need to do
some custom modifications to Asterisk, and will also need help in
configuring the Asterisk installation to do the basic IVR stuff.

The high-level scenario is as follows:

1.	Our customer operates a VoIP service using a soft switch that does
not have IVR functionality - this is what we need to integrate the Asterisk
system to.
2.	The existing VoIP system initiates a call by accepting an SMS with a
destination number (party B) from a registered user (party A).  The VoIP
system then initiates *two* calls - one from the VoIP system to registered
user A, and another from the VoIP system to the destination number B, and
then binds the two calls together.
3.	If the destination number B does not answer, the customer wants the
VoIP system to connect the registered user A to an IVR system to record a
message for B to recover via a web site.
4.	The problem is that Asterisk will not know anything about party B
who did not pick up when the VoIP system made the call.  Also, from the
point of view of Asterisk, calls will always be coming from the VoIP system,
and therefore the same "number".  Once a message has been recorded, how do
we identify the recorded voice messages in order to deliver them via a
separate web page at a later date?
5.	There are several hundred thousand registered members using the VoIP
system currently, and there are a lot of new users coming onboard all the
time.

Our proposed solution is:

1.	When connecting the user A with the Asterisk IVR system if party B
does not answer, the VoIP system will pass the phone number of B as the
"caller" number when calling the IVR (in other words the VoIP system will
fake the sender number)
2.	Asterisk (custom coding here?) will use the caller number as part of
the naming convention of the recorded voice message so it can be retrieved
later
3.	A web site (that we will have built) will retrieve the message file
using the party B number and make it available for download by the user B
4.	This service will be available "member to member" so we will know
who the caller is, and how to let them know they have a message waiting.

We are an Australian organisation, so we would prefer to contract resources
here, but are open to engaging internationally. We have moderate Linux
skills and high level J2EE skills in-house, but very little experience in
Perl, and insufficient time to get up to speed to develop the needed changes
to Asterisk. If the needed changes are appropriate to contribute to the Open
Source community, then we are happy to do so.

I would appreciate expressions of interest from people who would be prepared
to do the work configuring Asterisk as an IVR, and doing whatever
development work is needed to retrieve the messages.  I realise that this is
a very high level outline of the job, and indeed there may well be a better
way of doing it, so alternate suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Adam Wells