[Asterisk-biz] SATA Drives RAID 1.. and Asterisk .. someone?

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Wed Oct 20 16:32:50 MST 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 3:52 PM, Michael Welter wrote:

> Carlos Hernandez wrote:
>> Hello all:
>> could someone please mention your experiences with SATA or IDE RAID-1
>> installations for Asterisk?
>> I need to recommend a hardware solution.
>> This machine will only have a TDM card and a few IP phones..to start
>> with,
>> but they might grow.
> Don't do software RAID.  When it becomes necessary to re-sync a drive,
> it pegs the processor, and voice "quality" is terrible.  N.B.  An
> abnormal shutdown will cause a re-sync.
>
> I've had good luck with 3Ware PCI cards.  Stay away from SIIG cards.

3ware works well, and their 2-port cards aren't *that* expensive.

With SW RAID, you can rate-limit the rebuild, and that should help with
the CPU usage.  But yeah, any unclean shutdown will require a rebuild.
Once of these days someone will implement journalled RAID with some
sort of NVRAM device (PCI ones aren't too pricey), but until then
rebuilds are going to be a fact of life.

Scott