[Asterisk-biz] web based interface for asterisk

Patrick asterisk at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 20 06:53:56 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 12:57, Rehan Ahmed wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We have also developed the web interface both for my sql and for file based
> asterisk depoloyment.We would love to release it under the open source
> licence if no one else has ever done it before. When we release it does it
>  become a part of the Asterisk or how does it work ?

Hi Rehan,

Since no one answered I'll give it a try although I am not a licensing
expert and IANAL.

Having cleared that I think you only need to put in each file of your
sources a copyright notice and mention which license applies, e.g. the
GPL. Make sure you also add to your sources the actual license in a
separate text file called LICENSE. Here is an example from the copyright
notice in the asterisk.c file of the Asterisk sources:

/*
 * Asterisk -- A telephony toolkit for Linux.
 *
 * Top level source file for asterisk
 *
 * Copyright (C) 1999-2004, Digium, Inc.
 *
 * Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
 *
 * This program is free software, distributed under the terms of
 * the GNU General Public License
 */

Just add something similar to your code and you should be all set.

Releasing your web interface can be as simple as making a tarball of the
code, make it available on some website and announce it on the
asterisk-users list.

Your web interface will afaik not be part of the Asterisk source tree
unless Mark wants it and you have handed over the copyright of your code
to Digium. However it will be one of the valuable components available
to create a turn-key solution. Similar to kapejod's chan_capi, the
MeetMe2 app from areski.net and voxbox.ca.

Hope this helps and looking forward to your announcement on the list.

Regards,
Patrick