[Asterisk-biz] Any suggestion for a good ADSL Router that garantees me voIP prioritization and QoS ?

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Thu Oct 7 00:47:08 MST 2004

On 11:55 PM 10/6/2004, andres at itranser.com wrote:

>Thks for your comments about the router, Chris.
>
>Unfortunately, that router does not seems to include a MODEM/ADSL
>integrated (something usual on my country, here the routers that customer
>demand have that interface integrated). I saw another model of Linksys,
>the WAG54G model, that seems an specific version for the Spanish market
>(it comes with MODEM/ADSL), but I am afraid os Sveasoft not having
>firmware for this one......
>
>If so, i would have to go with the firmware already shiped with the
>product... Do you think this firmware is already good enough for QoS?
>
>Also....Do you known if seasoft firmware makes a lot of difference on QoS
>feautures ? What about SIP compatibilities (i.e SIP AGL = SIP Aplicattion
>Gateway Layer).
>
>Kind Regards,
>
>                                 Andres

You are correct, the WRT54G does not have any type of MODEM in it.  You
would need to use an external modem if you chose to use it.  The WRT54G is
based on an embedded linux kernel and linux based routing software.  The
QoS (in the sveasoft firmware) is Wondershaper and works quite
well.  However, I don't believe (as mentioned by another poster) that the
Linksys firmware QoS allows you to set the inbound and outbound capacities
for use by the QoS system, so it may not perform as well.  I can only
comment on the sveasoft firmware, since it is the only firmware I've tried.

To be honest I'm not sure how sveasoft handles SIP traffic.  I know that if
you read the boards they have implemented some specific features just for
SIP traffic.  I do know that when I tested the router, I saw a huge
difference between non-QoS operation and QoS operation.  With QoS off,
large downloads or uploads would completely destroy my VoIP quality.  When
I implemented the QoS in the sveasoft firmware, the calls were perfect
regardless of the traffic I attempted to push or pull.

-Chris