[Asterisk-biz] carrier class names

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Tue Nov 23 18:31:36 MST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Jason Becker wrote:

> >>Perhaps you're after the terms ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier)
> >>and CLEC (Competitive Local Exchange Carrier)?
> >
> > Too bad that every ILEC and [I hope] every CLEC provides 911 service.
>
> It is my understanding that ILECs provide the 911 platform that CLECs
> tie into. I don't understand your reply, can you elaborate (without
> being a smart ass, try really really hard).
I'll try harder.

ILECs do not provide the 911 platform. Your local answering point
(housing people who actually answer 911 calls), also called PSAP (public
safety answering point) is ran by the municipality (or a group of
municipalities), *not* an ILEC. All ILEC and CLEC customers have to pay
[locally?] mandated 911 surcharge that funds PSAP operations.

When call comes in to PSAP, they do a lookup to translate phone line
into address. That database is maintained by Intrado for most [all?] of
the US.

ILECs connect PSAPs to the PSTN through the tandem. Sometimes, that tandem
is dedicated to serving that PSAP. Nevertheless, you *can* connect to PSAP
yourself if you negotiate with each PSAP [that is rarely done]. ILECs
provide PSAP connectivity as a product.

-alex