[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Business Termination -- VOIPJET

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Nov 23 08:46:55 MST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Michael Welter wrote:

> > Yep. I share the same opinion. We refuse to provide VoIP services over the
> > Public Internet, especially to business customers, because there is no
> > gurantee of quality and no way to ensure that each provider will give QOS.
> > Therefore, I reccomend that customers wishing to make a VoIP move do it to
> > a regional provider, with facilities in their area that can deliver a QOS
> > T1 directly to their equipment. That can provide shared Internet and VoIP
> > traffice, but with QOS profile that gives VoIP priority.
> >
> > I, like Alex, own and operate several data centers, and do not play in the
> > Public Internet VoIP market, although I provide lots of bandwidth and
> > hosting to companies that DO.
> >

> Please clue me in.  If I buy a data T-1 from XO or Level3, isn't their
> end of the connection still plugged into the public Internet?  Are you
> saying that I should buy my T-1 from a Tier-I provider to reduce the
> number of hops from me to a backbone circuit?

No. I'm saying that if you have a regional provider that terminates into
the PSTN that a T1 to their backbone w/ proper QOS can reduce the latency
and number of hops. I.E. we provide T1 service to our customers directly
off of a Cisco core router w/ QOS enabled. On their side, they have a
Cisco router w/ QOS. From there, the traffic hops onto a Gigabit ethernet
into our PSTN gateway (Asterisk) directly into the carrier switches via
PRI.

Customer -> Cisco -> T1 -> Cisco -> Gig E Switch -> Asterisk -> Carrier PRI

Each step of the way has QOS enabled on it, giving Voice traffic ultimate
priority. We can even enable QOS on the Client's network and the entire
data path then respects the TOS bits and ensures MUCH BETTER (not perfect)
performance than the Public Internet.

> Or are you saying that I should buy my T-1 from any provider, no matter
> what tier, that can provide QoS?

I'm saying that if you have a LOCAL provider (ISP, Ilec, Clec) that
provides DIRECT termination into the PSTN, if you can get a QOS and SLA
backed T1 into their backbone, you are going to AVOID using the Public
Internet for transport of your Voice packets, thereby increasing your
quality and reliability. Again, it's not perfect, but it is about the best
that you can get right now.

                             KP-216-121-ST