[Asterisk-biz] asterisk server colocation

Matthew Simpson matthew at txlink.net
Mon Nov 22 23:07:00 MST 2004

alex wrote:

>As far as "connections directly to carriers", how do you do that?
>Straight resale? How do you bill for these "direct" connections?

MCI and Qwest are on our floor at 2323 Bryan, so it's not difficult at all
to get a fiber handoff from them.  We also have fiber to 2323 Bryan's
meet-me room where customers can meet up with any of the other carriers on
any other floor.  2323 Bryan is a fiber-only building, they [Capstar, the
building management] don't allow copper in the conduits so copper muxing has
to be done in the meet-me room or in our suite with an extended demarc.

1950 Stemmons is easier for [copper] cross connects, it is the second most
connected building in Dallas after 2323 bryan.  We are literally 10 feet
from the building meet-me room on the 1st floor, so we can do copper cross
connects as well as fiber.  I have all my copper come in to this location
since it's cleaner than trying to mux across 2323 bryan.

So to answer your question, depending on what the customer wanted [copper or
fiber] they could just buy a zero-loop port from the carrier and deal with
the carrier direct.  We also offer resold TDM loops, usually with better per
minute pricing than going to to Qwest/MCI/etc direct since we have a large
monthly commit and a smaller carrier may not.

Getting CLEC access can actually be more valuable since the rates are much
better, but obviously not even the mega-CLECs like XO can offer the coverage
areas that the big IXC guys like Qwest/MCI/etc can.

>For comparison, we also have presence in carrier facilities (60 Hudson,
>9th floor-TelX and 13th/XO, 111 8th Avenue -room 1515/NYCX, 25
>Broadway/Telehouse) as well as operating our own facility at 55 Broad St

Those are very nice facilities.

Yours,
Matthew
TxLink Communications