[Asterisk-biz] Polycom

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Sat Nov 13 05:44:11 MST 2004

We have also had a hard time keeping suppliers, we've had to buy them from 4
different vendors in the last year because the vendors can't sem to get
reliable supplies from Polycom.

About 10 months ago I talked extensively with Scott Wilson, the VP of sales
for Polycom VOIP phones, and he stated that they would love to fully support
Asterisk(even giving us our own engineer to talk to) if a vendor would
become a preferred Asterisk-related vendor that they could work through.
They hate dealing with end-user customers directly and that was the reason
we've had so many problems. In the end, I was never able to get any Polycom
reseller to agree to fully support Asterisk and I had to move on to other
things because this endeavor had already taken up too much of my time.
Because of that we only install Polycom phones in places where good
speakerphones are needed, otherwise we install Snom phones which have a much
better company support record with Asterisk.

All of the research and phone calls I made in this endeavor lead me to the
conclusion that Polycom makes more profit per phone when Cisco or Avaya
sells a phone(Cisco and Avaya license many Polycom technologies in their
speaker-phone-capable VOIP phones) than they would if they had to support
their own phones. That's why they don't really seem to care about selling
these phones, they compete directly with another stable revenue stream, and
becoming a bigger player in VOIP phones might put their Cisco and Avaya
contracts in danger. Of course I cannot prove this, but all of the
conversations I had with Polycom employees seemed to indicate this kind of
thinking there.

In the end these are wonderfully capable phones that are heavily
configurable and loaded with features and I plan on buying more in the
future, but they will never be primary phones on systems I install unless
they(or a reseller) start to offer Asterisk-end-user support, even if it's
paid.

MATT---