[Asterisk-biz] Starting a Calling Card Business $1000 - hiring an Intern

ChitChat - Info info at mychitchat.com
Fri Nov 12 13:34:52 MST 2004

Sounds like someone has been burned by the intern approach. I for one have
been burned by the outsourced approach. There are merits to both. It all
comes down to finding competent people.

Funding an intern to give them the opportunity to grow into a full-time lead
technical role is both charitable and CAN make long-term business sense.
Everyone was a student once. Much depends on the person. Find a rock star
and be happy. Companies spend money training employees because depending on
how you run the numbers, there is a greater opportunity cost to constantly
relying on outside expertise rather than investing in in-house human
resource building. Example: I had a roommate who coded high-end Java
applications for $15/hour. Sure his first 6 months were worth $0 in actual
produced value, but his next 18 months were more than worth the initial
investment in 'free learning time.' As an added bonus, you have a
ready-to-go fulltime employee who needs no learning curve at full salary for
the initial month or two.

Can you build a business on that? No. Can you expand a business on that?
Most definitely.

Expertise costs time or money or both. You can accelerate one in exchange
for the other. I believe what you are saying is, "you can't have your cake
and eat it too," OR, "it takes money to make money," or a thousand other
cliches that are "cliché but true." lol.