[Asterisk-biz] Starting a Calling Card Business $1000

ChitChat - Info info at mychitchat.com
Fri Nov 12 12:31:39 MST 2004

Off the top of my head, here are some other things to consider:

* tracking of payphone surcharges and remittances
* reporting functionalities - what's my profit, etc. How many cards have
been used?
* how accurate is the billing system. Trust me, the smallest error can cost
you thousands of dollars. Prepaid cards mean that you can't track the person
down and just say "give us some money for the free minutes we accidentally
gave you"
* routing tables - how do you change the carrier on a
destination-by-destination basis based on price/quality.
* anti-fraud - can you block 'bad' people from hacking your box, trying pin
combinations, blocking inbound numbers, blocking specific destinations?
* refill, pin creation, batch creation, batch cancellation, distributor
tracking, inventory tracking.

I think Asterisk is amazing and we are hiring an intern to invest time/money
into and see what he/she can 'come up with' on Asterisk, but companies that
charge tens of thousands to set up proprietary systems aren't worthless just
yet. I think Asterisk will catch up with smart people writing the code, but
there is still a way to go between 'class 4 switch' and Asterisk PBX. I love
it though...