[Asterisk-biz] Inbound Costs (Was: Canadian Toll Free DID / Local 514 DID)

Justin B.Newman justin.newman at binhost.com
Wed Jul 28 04:53:10 MST 2004

On Jul 28, 2004, at 2:11 AM, Tracy R Reed wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 02:10:39AM -0400, Jeremy McNamara spake thusly:
>> Most certainly.  You don't pay per minute for incoming calls on your
>> POTS line do you?  Nor do you with NuFone's regular DIDs.
>
> Easy to do when you can only give out DIDs in the one area in which you
> have a presence.

Binhost has been spending lots of time considering this with our new
IAX/SIP offering.  As I've been working with providers outside of our
current location (DC) (and outside of areas where we expect to have a
physical presence), I've generally resisted opportunities that are
based upon inbound minute costs.  Sure, it's more difficult ... but
inbound minute costs should be limited to bandwidth costs.

If you're buying from a LEC, they get PAID to terminate the calls to
you.  Because of that, all you really should be paying for is the
bandwidth necessary to get the calls from their CO to your gateway (SIP
gateway, * box, or ___).  Why should I pay them to do something that
they get PAID by others to do?

-jbn