[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk/SIP over satellite?

Dorn Hetzel asterisk at dorn.hetzel.org
Tue Dec 28 12:00:43 MST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 12:22:06PM -0500, Nabeel Jafferali wrote:
> Tom Hayden wrote:
> > I would imagine the latency would be less than desireable, but I've
> > heard that some of the newer sats actually have decent latency.
>
> I know this isn't directly related to your Q, but I have a few users on
> my * server in Tanzania with BudgeTones. Their ISP's connection to the
> Internet is through satellite via Europe and my server is in Florida.
> The latency * sees is ~700ms. But, calls to them are crystal clear.

Yeah, latency has no impact on clarity, only loss and jitter do that.
It's also worth noting that jitter can almost always be cured by
enough jitter buffer; the price you pay is extending latency to always
be equal to whatever the worst latency was during jitter.  If you
don't mind the moonbounce effect, it's no problem :)  Personally,
I carry a Nextel phone and I'm *real* used to half-duplex conversations,
so that doesn't bother me much :)

-Dorn