[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk/SIP over satellite?

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Tue Dec 28 10:10:01 MST 2004

Tom Hayden wrote:
> I would imagine the latency would be less than desireable, but I've
> heard that some of the newer sats actually have decent latency.

Unless you're starting to use low orbit sats or have figured out how to
adjust the speed of light, your round trip latency will be no less than
480ms.

Its not the large latency that kills most voip connections, its
constantly changing latency that kills it...requiring jitter buffers and
all that.

I'd much rather have a 480ms latency circuit that is 480ms all the time
rather than one that's 20ms here, 90ms there, 2340983ms over there.