[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk training and certification ::AstriconTraining

Jason Becker jason at coalescentsystems.ca
Mon Dec 20 10:33:42 MST 2004

Brian West wrote:
>>Don't mean to pick on you Steve :-) but you guys should read Golden's
>>"Succeeding with Open Source" before levelling this kind of criticism at
>>Digium. The Asterisk Community surely has a low opinion about
>>certifications but I think the announcement should be considered as an
>>attempt by Digium to show the industry/analysts that Asterisk is
>>maturing. You don't have to look any further than JBoss to see a similar
>>consultant certification process - and one of their courses is $3250 US.
>>Granted, JBoss offers their curriculum all over the world but then
>>they've been at it longer than Digium has.
>

> Just remember its not Digium that cooked this little scheme up.  And I'm not
> in search of a free Cert.  I am more concerned with the community than
> myself.  If you didn't attend astericon you wouldn't get it... This
> community is more like a family and if you were there you would have known
> this.
>
> bkw

I think it's important to consider this announcement in perspective. I
can't speak for Digium since I have no business relationship with them,
but it would be quixotic to alienate the developer community just to get
some training revenue - I think something more benign and beneficial
will result.

Excerpt from the announcement:

“This is an important step towards greater acceptance of Asterisk in the
enterprise”, says Olle E. Johansson

Business decisions ultimately are based upon reward AND risk. The *
community implicity knows the rewards the platform offers. But
companies, especially enterprise-level organizations, do not
buy/implmenent a technology solely based on the rewards - they consider
the risk as well. dCAP training is _one_ way for them to mitigate the
risk - just knowing that it is available gives them a warm fuzzy.

Now we just need an O'Reilly book... ;-)

Regards,

--
Jason Becker
Director & CEO