[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk training and certification :: Astricon Training

Tracy R Reed treed at copilotconsulting.com
Sun Dec 19 18:44:10 MST 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 01:54:04AM -0800, Shahed spake thusly:
> From the original mail, it seems that certification would
>
> 1. Help individual contractors who get certified
>    by giving them some credibility,

Certification programs exist for one reason only: To make money for the
company offering the cert. They will all tell you it is so that the
customer can know they are getting someone who knows what they are doing
but most customers are easily impressed with any old piece of paper with
anyones name on it. Nobody knows who Digium is except us.  None of my PBX
customers have ever heard of Digium. Nor do they care. A Digium Cert is
just as good as a Copilot Consulting cert to the average customer. I'll
certify you all for a mere $2k each and all you have to do is tell me how
to start asterisk! ;) The customer won't know any difference.

What next, expiring certifications a la M$?

> 2. Perhaps be of some financial benefit to Digium, as the traning is
>    licensed from Digium (?)

Ya think?

> As for long time contributors (in any form), they should perhaps
> be given automatic certification as a recognition for their efforts.
>
> (But who will decide, who among the 100's or 1000's should get it ? CVS
> commiters maybe ?)

Exactly. There is no equitable way to decide this. I have been playing
with asterisk for a year and a half and done some cool things with it but
I'm not paying over $3k for a cert.

--
Tracy Reed    http://copilotcom.com
This message is cryptographically signed for your protection.