[Asterisk-biz] FCC docs for shipping INTO the US

David Slater dslater at optonline.net
Tue Dec 7 10:05:05 MST 2004

Tony Mountifield wrote:

> We have tried in vain to get FedEx to explain to us exactly what the
> problem is, or even to have them notify us or the consignee that there is
> a problem - it just sits there until we notice in their online tracking
> the dread phrase "Regulatory Agency Delay". We end up re-faxing docs, or
> our customer does, and days later it gets released.
>
> Could anyone here that know about these things give any helpful advice on
> how to clear this hurdle at the first attempt?

The integrators (Fedex, UPS, DHL etc) are all very good at handling
'normal' shipments through customs, but throw in FDA/FCC/USDA/DOT
requirements into the clearance of the shipment, they tend to break down.

I would recommend that you contact your Fedex sales rep, and request a
contact person in the port of entry (Memphis, mostly, for Fedex, but
many shipments are cleared in Newark/JFK too, I believe).  Send all
copies of the documents (invoice, FCC forms, waybill info) directly to
this contact person as soon as your goods are picked up, and also to
your customer/importer, who should also be in touch with the Fedex
contact person.

My other recommendation would be to contact a regular freight
forwarder/customs broker for more personalized service.  I use to work
in the industry - contact me off list if you would like a referral.

rgds,
David