[Asterisk-biz] * vs. Call Manager Express/Unity Express

Jason Becker jason at coalescentsystems.ca
Fri Aug 27 11:03:17 MST 2004

Hello All,

I'm hoping that someone that has experience with Cisco product can help
me position an * solution against Call Manager Express/Unity Express.

The customer has decided to use Cisco routers so naturally a Cisco
IP-PBX (integrated with IOS) solution appeals to them. My understanding
is that CME is $750 US and CUE (required for Auto-attendant and
Voicemail) starts at either $2500 US or $1800 US (which itself depends
on whether a HDD or CF is used for storage).

I think our * based solution can compete on price and features with
Cisco's solution, so if anyone can chime in on other pros and cons of a
Cisco solution I'd really appreciate it. Is CME basically a "Loss
Leader"? i.e. Eventually you'll end up using their Call Manager product?
Is this how Cisco gets you to buy their expensive VoIP phones? Is
CME/CUE disposable enough that someone buying Cisco routers can try it
and if they don't like it then they'll consider buying a standalone IP-PBX?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

--
Jason Becker