[Asterisk-biz] VOIP and Emergency Numbers

Robert Welbourn rwelbourn at aastra.com
Mon Aug 23 06:51:58 MST 2004

I had the thought about embedding a GPS receiver chip in a phone, too -- like in a cellphone.  However, the problem is that GPS reception inside buildings is not good, so it would not work reliably.

Most proposals for solving the E911 problem either require the user to register their location in some fashion, or (in an enterprise setting) involve ethernet switches noting the MAC address and port of the IP phone and tying it to some form of network topology database.  The latter approach strikes me as being extremely ugly, as it is not exactly lightweight.

Rob

Robert Welbourn
Product Line Manager, Network Access Division, Aastra Telecom
8 Federal St, Billerica, MA 01821-3570, USA
Tel +1-978-436 4125, Mobile +1-617-510 5354