[Asterisk-biz] Need Cisco 7960's

Brent Franks mwless at mindworks.net
Wed Aug 11 07:00:00 MST 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Cory Andrews wrote:
>
> > Tracy - I have availability on New Retail boxed Cisco CP-7960G-CH1 that will
> > run you around $310, versus Cisco list price of around $550  I also have
> > refurbished units available, CP-7940 and CP-7960 that are less expensive.  I
> > also have a special available on the Polycom 500CS, which is a great phone,
> > very comparable to the CP-7960, works well with Asterisk as well.  We have
> > these New Retail boxed for $200/ea
>
> You don't show Polycom phones on your web site.
>
> We tried to purchase a SoundPoint IP500 from another vendor last week,
> and were told that Polycom is tightening their reseller channels and
> only authorized resellers would be able to sell them in the future.
> Because of this, we are loathe to show this phone to our customers, if
> they aren't going to be able to buy them. Anyone know what's up with
> Polycom?

Well, I know Polycom frowns on Asterisk.  They don't want to go near it.
Their tightening might be as a result of calls coming in with people
saying they purchased it, but not through an authorized reseller.  I know
we purchased ours through Insight and I only call and talk to them when
there is a problem w/ their phone.  For example, the phone should be using
NTP not SNTP, or the volume resets to a nominal level for ADA compliance.
The immediate question is "Which soft switch are you using?".  Say
Asterisk, they tell you should not be calling, even if it is a problem
with their phone regardless of the soft switch.

So, moral of the story, lie about the softswitch.  You'll get a lot
further.

What ever happened to Polycom working w/ the Asterisk community (as it was
hinted earlier) rather than against it?

- B