[asterisk-app-dev] Does anybody know to how to load test simple scenario in Asterisk 13.x w SIPp?

Kevin Harwell kharwell at digium.com
Wed Mar 16 14:55:48 CDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 7:41 PM, Tickling Contest <
tickling.contest at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, it would be amazing if someone could tell me how to stop a SIPp test
> after one such call described in my OP.

A SIPp scenario will stop either when it encounters an error or runs to
completion. You have to form your scenario in a way that it will execute
all commands and receive all expected events in the proper order. For
instance maybe in your scenario you'll have a call enter your application.
The application does what it needs to do with the channel and then hangs it
up. The SIPp scenario can be waiting to receive the hang up. Once it does
it will end.

See more below about an example.

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Tickling Contest <
> tickling.contest at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am testing an ARI application written over Asterisk 13.6.0. In my ARI
>> application, I wrote a bunch of features that manipulate call state, and I
>> would now like to stress test it so that the application is production
>> ready.
>>
>> So, I am using SIPp, but I am having a LOT of trouble with docs.
>>
>> Here's what I want to do, assuming each SIPp "peer" in the following
>> description means a single SIPp process on, say, a linux host:
>> (a) REGISTER SIPp peer A and SIPp peer B to my Asterisk 13.6.0 using TCP
>> transport using username and password.
>> (b) Use SIPp peer A to call SIPp peer B, both of whom are registered to
>> my Asterisk 13.6.0/TCP PBX using INVITE.
>> (c) Wait for the call to be answered  at peer B, and then pause 2 seconds
>> and then kill the call by sending a BYE from SIPp peer B.
>>
>> Here is what I am able to do so far: I am able to REGISTER the peers, but
>> for the life of me, not able to get the peers to call each other.
>>
>> I have tried sippy_cup, but I have had a similar issue where the
>> documentation is spotty and I don't think it actually works for TCP. So
>> that's not an option for me.
>>
>> I would like to know how to create XML scenario files so that I can
>> generate my own scenario files for my own set up from actual pjsip set
>> logger on output.

If you would like to simply originate a call from SIPp into Asterisk you
can find many such examples that do just that in the Asterisk Testsuite
(1). One such example can be found beneath the pjsip channel driver tests:
ident_by_user (2). Check out the playback_with_initial_sdp.xml (3) file
specifically.

Note, this example calls the playback extension, which then plays a file
back and then hangs up. Instead of calling the playback app your's would
call your app instead.

(1) https://github.com/asterisk/testsuite
(2)
https://github.com/asterisk/testsuite/tree/master/tests/channels/pjsip/basic_calls/incoming/nominal/unauthed/ident_by_user