[asterisk-app-dev] DTMF/other uses question

Tickling Contest tickling.contest at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 14:40:06 CDT 2016

I have a DTMF related question. I understand how to reap DTMF using
Asterisk, and related application environments, for example, ARI. See as an
example
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/ARI+and+Channels%3A+Handling+DTMF
.

While, sending DTMF over a landline phone is slow; I was wondering if there
is anyway to send it faster over PSTN for applications using smartphone
apps as the SIP UA, so that my PBX connected via a SIP trunk into an
Asterisk PBX, can retrieve more information faster (e.g., retrieve a
40-digit DTMF quicker than 1 second). For starters, is it even possible? if
so, how have you achieved it? My thinking is, "if fax can do this, there
has to be other ways of using DTMF..."

Do common libraries like PJSIP allow this? What API calls are involved, if
so?

Any insight into this is appreciated.

Thanks!