[asterisk-app-dev] ARI ApplicationActivated event?

Ben Merrills b.merrills at mersontech.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 05:38:43 CST 2015

> Kevin Harwell wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > So then there are for sure cases where full state is not recoverable
> > and a missed message(s) playback mechanism would be ideal. I guess the
> > questions go back then to how useful is it and is it worth the effort?
>
> I think, depending on the application, it's useful.
[skrusty] I think the approach here is wrong. Asterisk shouldn't be buffering these messages or worrying messages have not been received (as such). When we reviewed (with some other community members) improving reliability and fault tolerance, the main strategy seems to be queue those messages and distribute them over multiple applications serving ARI.

> > Right now Asterisk doesn't even notify an application that it is in a
> > "reactivated" state.  So either applications currently built on ARI
> > don't care about syncing state on reconnection, or they use the
> > current commands available to do it (and that is sufficient).  Maybe
> > having the proposed extra notification would not be so useful.
>
> I think right now this hasn't been run into enough to really be a substantial
> problem for people.
[skrusty] True, it's not, but it has been considered. The idea of proxying those messages from a locally hosted service into a queue of some sorts seems to work best so far. This method solves issues dealing with high availability and failover.