[asterisk-app-dev] ARI Snoop Channel CPU Usage

George Ladoff georgeladoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 18:24:33 CDT 2015

Hey Everybody,

I've been tinkering with ARI over the last 6 months and I've been able to
do a quite a bit. Recently though I've hit a wall where I'm not sure if I'm
looking at a bug, or something I just don't understand about how
ARI/Asterisk functions. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for
me or just tell me, "yeah, file a bug report."

I can create and bridge channels with no problem. I see great performance
with a variety of codecs. But as soon as I create a snoop channel, CPU
usage begins to escalate endlessly. A single snoop channel can consume 100%
of a 3 Ghz CPU within 40 minutes, crawling up 2-3% every minute. As soon as
I delete the snoop channel, CPU returns to normal.

I've tried it on channels that are connected with ulaw, gsm, and g.729. All
have the same result. It's fine if this channel is not yet bridged,
bridged, or even being recorded. I just see ~1-2% CPU usage for all of
these activities (including the recording which I'm almost always
transcoding). So I feel like I've determined that it's *not *related to
transcoding, but I'm not certain.

This seems to happen no mater the direction of the snoop but I've been
consistently testing with spy out only.

I've confirmed that the thread using the CPU is indeed the one created once
the snoop channel is created.

I've tested this with the latest Asterisk 12 and 13 (including yesterday's
13.3 release) and always get the same result.

I'm wondering if there is just something about the way snoop is built that
I just don't know that makes this happen.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

George