[asterisk-app-dev] Asterisk and UniMRCP Licensing

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Fri Sep 5 09:33:55 CDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 2:52 AM, Ben Merrills <b.merrills at mersontech.co.uk>
wrote:

> Great news!
>
> Will this go any way towards helping get some general support for UniMRCP
> via ARI? I know when I first brought this up a few months ago, my main
> motivation was to try and see if there was a path for getting speech
> functionality exposed into ARI.

So, in my spare time, I have been playing around with this.

Putting an ARI wrapper around the res_speech API is pretty easy. I haven't
really decided on what the resources would look like, but right now my
working theory would be that it would look similar to the playbacks
resource - that is, you can start speech detection via some operation on
the channels resource, which hands you back a handle to a speech detection
control resource. You can then use a speech detection resource to
manipulate what is happening.

That's the theory anyway.

I've taken a glance at the Asterisk modules that were written by various
folks that the UniMRCP project distributes. Unfortunately, it doesn't look
like they made use of the res_speech API. As such, they can't just be used
directly behind ARI - some substantial rework would have to be done.

The first step would still be to get ARI able to wrap res_speech. Once
that's in place, if Arsen and others are interested, we can discuss how to
tweak the UniMRCP Asterisk modules such that they fit into the overall
speech architecture in Asterisk.

Matt

--
Matthew Jordan