[asterisk-app-dev] Debugging ARI apps and mixing bridge with DTMF events

Nick Horelik nhorelik at mit.edu
Fri Oct 17 10:47:23 CDT 2014

Thank you for your help - looks like it was indeed NAT related.  Solved by
adding direct_media=no to our endpoints and setting the transport to:

[simpletrans]
type=transport
protocol=udp
bind=0.0.0.0
local_net=<aws vpc cidr the ec2 instance is on>
local_net=127.0.0.1/32
external_media_address=<public elastic ip of the ec2 instance>
external_signaling_address=<public elastic ip of the ec2 instance>

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:

> Nick Horelik wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your help.  This is all running on amazon AWS so perhaps I do
>> have NAT issues. However, if that's the case I don't get why media flows
>> when I don't add 'dtmf_events' to the bridge type, and why it works when
>> I do have that bridge type with both sides using the working trunk.  Is
>> it because asterisk detects different dtmf modes between the two outside
>> endpoints and only then tries to have media flow through itself on our
>> network?
>>

> I'd suggest taking ARI out of the equation for the moment and sending your
> calls to a simple Answer and then Playback. That will confirm one leg of
> your media path. After that I'd suggest using Dial() to call your outgoing
> leg and see what happens.
>
> As for why it works - I think what is happening is that Asterisk is using
> a mechanism to have both legs talk directly to eachother so media is not
> flowing through Asterisk. Since Flowroute has public IPs it's all good. You
> can disable this functionally by placing "direct_media=no" in your
> endpoints.
>
> If you disable direct media and you still get no media then it's most
> likely something network related. Personally I haven't touched AWS in
> *years* but I do know they do some interesting network stuff. It made be
> worthwhile to also post this to the asterisk-users mailing list which has
> much more people who have most likely run into exactly this.
>

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Joshua Colp
> Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Developer
> 445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - US
> Check us out at: www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org

774.208.2168