[asterisk-app-dev] Resource Subscriptions on Resource Creation

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Thu Mar 27 13:29:49 CDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Kinsey Moore <kmoore at digium.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I'd like to get some feedback from the community regarding the current
> operation of bridge creation and bridge subscriptions.
>
> Recently, a fix for a bridge subscription leak was committed which caused
> two tests to fail. These tests were expecting to have a persistent
> subscription to the bridge for its entire lifetime which isn't entirely
> unreasonable but is not the way that the API is currently designed.
>
> Currently, the API is designed such that a user of the API must first
> create a bridge and then subscribe to it if it wants additional information
> as events via websocket during the lifetime of the bridge. The review[1] to
> fix these two failings tests assumes this is the correct way to do things
> and modifies subscriptions during the lifetime of the bridge accordingly.
> One downside of this is that between creation and subscription, some other
> entity could alter the state of the bridge without its creator or
> subscriber(s) knowing.
>
> An alternative fix for these broken tests would be to add a parameter to
> the POST that creates the bridge to allow automatic creation of
> subscriptions for one or more Stasis applications. This solution would
> prevent modification of the bridge's state without the creator or other
> designated application knowing about it.

I think that's the best approach.

One thing we need to document soon is the relationship between the
WebSocket connection and a Stasis application and the RESTful ARI
interface. That part is where things got a bit confusing in this issue.

> Are there other solutions worth considering?
>
> [1] https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/3398/

For now, I'd say commit the fix to the tests, along with a note in the
UPGRADE file noting the difference in behaviour. It should note that it was
really a bug fix, but is still a behavioural change.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager