[asterisk-app-dev] ari events stop when two channels join mixing bridge

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Tue Mar 11 07:49:19 CDT 2014

Greetings everyone,

I'm currently working on one of the issues that Ben ran into where DTMF
events may stop when channels are bridged together in ARI[1].

The suggestion from Matt was to add a capabilities field to bridge
creation that allows capabilities to be specified which then influence
the bridge itself. One of these would be a native capability which when
set would enable native bridging. After implementing and playing with
this I'm not sure I actually like it. I think it exposes internal
details that then require an extra explanation and understanding of.

I'd like to propose an alternative option which is to be able to specify
what you need from the bridge when creating it. This already exists in
the form of the bridge type but would also include more high level
properties. As I'm working on DTMF the first one would be something like
"dtmf_events". For what Ben is working on this would mean he would
create a mixing bridge which ensures DTMF events occur. Internally this
may mean that native bridging gets disabled but to him it doesn't matter
and he doesn't have to know this. It's an implementation detail.

Thoughts?

[1] https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-23437

--
Joshua Colp