[asterisk-app-dev] Asterisk ARI

Daniel Jenkins dan.jenkins88 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 13:24:00 CST 2014

On Feb 6, 2014 7:14 PM, "Ben Merrills" <b.merrills at mersontech.co.uk> wrote:

> I suspect this is now more a question for the asterisk-users mailing
list. This isn't an app-dev related question really.

> > Well, yes - it does some.
> >
> > For what I am trying to do, what would you recommend? What available
tools are out there?

> > Thanks
> >
> > Glen
> >
> > On 6 February 2014 12:07, Ben Merrills <b.merrills at mersontech.co.uk>
wrote:
> >Well, that's a start, I think!
> >The ARI is a Little vague, as I'm wondering if you could perhaps cite a
few real world examples. That way, I can get a feel for what I can do.
> >Thanks!
> ARI is more for creating applications, traditionally written in c, that
exist as modules within asterisk. For example, app_queue. However, because
ARI is REST and WebSockets based, it's not dependant on language or
location (can be hosted on a different machine).

> A use of ARI might be to write a replacement for app_queue, or confbridge
or voicemail itself.

> If you wanted to interact with app_queue, you might use AGI/AMI, but you
wouldn't use ARI.

> I hope that helps a little.
>
> >Sent from my Android - if my spelling, diction or grammar is poor,
please don't think that I am an idiot!
> On Feb 6, 2014 11:52 AM, "Paul Belanger" <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Glen Millard <glenmillard at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Hello Folks;
> >
> > Let's see if I can word this correctly. I wanted to use the Asterisk
ARI to
> > be able to do certain things from a web interface.
> >
> > We were hoping to do the following with it:
> >
> > 1.  Have clients set up voicemail on the Asterisk server
> > 2.  Be able to record their own greeting
> > 3.  Configure voicemail --> email (email voicemail messages to them)
> > 4.  Control the number of rings - or at least the time that it takes for
> > voicemail to pickup
> >
> > I see some of the API calls in the Swagger UI - however, I think I may
just
> > not be familiar with they naming / nomenclature in Asterisk .
> >
> > So, with the above list, and I am not looking for hand-holding, just
some
> > guidance.
> >
> > Is there a way to do these things with the use of the API or the
RealTime
> > Database config? If so, just some ideas on how to get started. If not,
is
> > there a 3rd party application/resource that someone knows of where I
can do
> > this by utilizing some sort of toolkit or API?
> >
> > Thanks so much - I really appreciate the help!
> >
> You can't really provision Asterisk using ARI. ARI is more a
> replacement interface allowing you to create a voicemail application.
> So, as it stands to day, no existing applications in asterisk
> (app_queue, app_voicemail) are exposed.
>
> Eventually somebody will write a voicemail replacement, that is
> outside of asterisk (using ARI) and they will likely expose some API
> to allow 3rd party applications to provision them.
>
> Hopefully that helps.
>
> --
> Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
> Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)
> Github: https://github.com/pabelanger | Twitter:
https://twitter.com/pabelanger

applications using any of asterisk's interfaces.

I'd probably say you want to be looking at the AMI to do what you want, AGI
is really aimed at internal to asterisk