[asterisk-app-dev] ARI dial application

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Fri Dec 19 11:55:45 CST 2014

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo,

After talking to a few people over the last few days, it's clear to
me, we each have our own way / vision how an ARI app_dial replacement
would work. What I was hoping for, is we could all come together for a
festivus miracle for a little bit of design work.

So, lets start with the very basic.  Could somebody explain like I am
5 how asterisk would do the following:

[makecall]
exten => 100,1,NoOp()
    same => n,Answer()
    same => n,Dial(SIP/alice at example.org)

Now, I call into Asterisk, hitting 100 at makecall, dial
alice at example.org, far end answers, we are bridged.

So, how would that look in ARI?

Answer channel
invoke originate (far end answers)
create bridge
move channel A and B into bridge

Right?

Some differences I can see right from the start, in the ARI example
caller A does not hear ringback, with app_dial they would. So my
questions are:

When does app_dial indicate ringing to the channel?
When does app_dial create the bridge? Does caller A live in the bridge
before Caller B is answered?

If you had to do this in ARI, how would you do it? Because, what I'd
like to do, is come up with the spec for it, write it, then see about
making a few simple demos for different languanges.

I know mjordan has some examples on github, but want to get more.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)