[asterisk-app-dev] ARI method of posting log messages to Asterisk

Daniel Jenkins dan.jenkins88 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 16:05:46 CDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Jared Smith <jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com>wrote:
>
>> Right now Mark is scoping out what it would look like - but if there's a
>> collective 'meh' from the community, we can move on to more important
>> things.
>>

> For general logging, I'm in the "meh" camp.  For User Events (or more
> specific logging, such as adding items to the Queue log), I'd be much more
> interested personally.
>
> --
> Jared Smith

When I first read this, I was thinking "why on earth would you use asterisk
for your logging", when your app can just log out however it wants to. so
+1 meh

However, the more I think about it, with a replacement for say app_queue or
app_voicemail, you still want the logs to be in Asterisk, even if the code
lives in an external module. The way I see i, there's two kinds of apps -
an app that I would make for my business needs - at which point I deal with
my own logging, on the other hand you have the replacement for app_queue
etc, which could be bundled with an asterisk package etc to still give "a
fully featured pbx"; it's just that the fully featured pbx is made up of
modules as well as the core of Asterisk.

So I definitely see this as important, but it may not be as important as
other things, I see posting JSON as more important than this... but I do
absolutely see a use case for this!

Dan