[asterisk-app-dev] Asterisk DTMF recognizer

Ben Langfeld ben at langfeld.me
Thu Dec 12 10:34:41 CST 2013

Shaun,

One advantage is consistency with speech recognition; if I have an
interface where you can say "yes" or "no", or press 1 or two, I can simply
instruct asterisk to load equivalent speech and DTMF grammars and the rest
of my logic in dealing with matching, timeouts, etc is unified.

Another in the case of only DTMF input is that I can use a well-defined
logic framework, rather than implementing buffering and validation in an
ad-hoc manner.

As for implementation, Matt has put forward some background info on this
and I will respond in more detail to his email, but this is not so much a
change at all as an addition of a built-in recogniser for those who wish to
use it.

Ben