[asterisk-app-dev] Asterisk DTMF recognizer

Ben Langfeld ben at langfeld.me
Wed Dec 11 17:22:21 CST 2013

The vast majority of IVR platforms (mainly VoiceXML) permit handling DTMF
in a consistent manner to speech recognition, that is by way of a DTMF
grammar. Asterisk, to my knowledge, does not currently include an
SRGS-based DTMF recognizer.

FreeSWITCH recently got one as part of mod_rayo, and Chris Rienzo has
stated that he believes making a majority of this into a library general
enough to be used in Asterisk also would be plausible, leaving limited
integration effort in Asterisk.

It is interesting to me in order to simplify the implementation of
Adhearsion atop Asterisk, since right now we have this in Ruby based on AMI
DTMF events. Is there any appetite among the Asterisk core team to
investigate the addition of this to Asterisk core or as a module?

If this gets agreement in principle, I'd love to talk more thoroughly about
the kind of API that would be most useful for us, and how we can move
forward with specification and implementation.